Friday, January 12, 2007

Friday Minutiae

It's Friday. A good day for somewhat random thoughts.

City Head Gone Muscle Head: That guy in the photo with his head under the hood (okay, so there's no hood, but his head would be under it if there was one) found that being a city manager was so stressful that he quit and became a muscle car dude. Contrary to his former profession, he claims his cars don't complain about stuff and they listen to him. And, according to this NY Times article, he left a profession that seems to be finding fewer takers even in a time when more communities are opting for the city manager form of government.
Blogging Mayors: Are there any mayors in Deseret who are blogging? I know of none, but then again I'm good at not knowing things (to find out for yourself, just call the league office and ask me a random question about city stuff). Anyway, here's a link to a blogging mayor in Illinois (remember, the s is silent) who seems to be using his blog as a very effective tool to keep his citizens informed about their community and his positions on various issues. Hey, not a bad thing to do as a mayor.

Until about a year ago I thought this blogging thing was an over-hyped fad and best used to post photos of the the kids so the grandmas would not feel so resentful that you moved far away (and subsequently diminish their desire to visit). But I've been proven wrong (again, not hard to do) and it appears this blog stuff is truly an effective medium of communication and somewhat of an equalizer to the extent that it allows pretty much anyone with access to a computer to have a public opinion. Now, whether or not that public opinion is worth reading is an entirely different issue. Perhaps this blog can be used as Exhibit A.

Can You Say? And one more truly random thing: the recent infatuation with the vaunted Boise State Broncos football team (trust me, they would have dominated the '04 Utes much like they dominated the '06 Utes) provided countless opportunities for local and national commentators to mispronounce BOISE. For the record there is no Z in BOISE. Let's say it together: BOY-SEE. Call me on the phone and I'll say it for you if you're still unsure. If I'm not here, ask for Neil.





4 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Jeff Stenquist said...

Brian,

I don't know of any Mayors that are blogging but I started a blog about a year ago to focus on issues in our community. I haven't posted as regularly as I would like but my new year's resolution is to be more consistent.

BTW, I think the '04 Utes could have taken the '06 Broncos.

Take care.

Jeff Stenquist
Draper City Council

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Jeff Stenquist said...

Oh yeah, the blog url is http://draperishome.blogspot.com/

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Jeff:

Thanks for the link to your blog. I think it’s a very effective way for you to communicate with your constituents. I think we could encourage more local officials to use this medium.

As for the Broncos and Utes, I guess we’ll both have to decide to play that game out in our fantasies and agree that our endings don’t match.

Thanks for the note.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Jeff:

Thanks for the link to your blog. I think it’s a very effective way for you to communicate with your constituents. I think we could encourage more local officials to use this medium.

As for the Broncos and Utes, I guess we’ll both have to decide to play that game out in our fantasies and agree that our endings don’t match.

Thanks for the note.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home